by: Father Bishoy Andrawes
- The distance to the Promised Land was 11 days, yet it took the children of Israel 40 years to get there!
- It’s our mental choice to live either as a child or as a slave.
- Isaac was the son of a free woman while Ishmael was the son if a slave. God did not want the son of a free woman to live with the son of a slave.
- The Israelites took that long because they lived with a slave mentality rather than the mentality of a child of God.
Wilderness Mentality #1: My future is determined by my past and my present.
- Numbers 21:4-5 – This is the wilderness mentality. They were discouraged and unappreciative. While in the wilderness, you should learn to enjoy it. Still, we are made to be free.
- Numbers 14:2-3 – They were not asking to become children of God. Bad thoughts produce a bad attitude.
- Proverbs 23:7 – For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.
Promised Land Mentality #1: I’m a free child of God. My future is not predetermined by my past.
- The attitude of the rich and glorious life is one of gratitude.
- 1 Corinthians 10:9-11 – We are not to complain.
Wilderness Mentality #2 – Someone do it for me. I don’t want the responsibility.
Promised Land Mentality #2 – Be responsible.
- We would rather procrastinate than use our talents for God’s glory.
- Matt 20:16 – So the last will be first, and the first last. For many are called, but few chosen.
- 600,000 were called to go to the Promised Land but 2 were chosen!
Wilderness Mentality #3 – I can’t take it if things are too hard! (Despair)
- 2 Corinthians 1:8 – Paul despaired even of life when he was in Asia.
Promised Land Mentality #3 – Hope
- 2 Corinthians 1:9-10 – Paul trusted in God, not himself. God delivered him and does deliver us and will still deliver us.
- Romans 12:2 – And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
- Why does God not make it easy?
- Patience – The rich and glorious life is one of patience.
- James 1:2-4 – Count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.
- Philippians 4:12-13 – Learn how to be in all situations.
Wilderness Mentality #4 – My behavior is wrong but it’s not my fault.
- This is the mentality of slaves, not children.
- Genesis 3:12-13 – Both Adam and Eve blamed others. Just accept the blame with patience. Take responsibility.
Promised Land Mentality #4 – Acceptance
- The rich and glorious life’s response to mistakes is repentance.
Wilderness Mentality #5 – Self-Pity
- Numbers 14:1-2 – If only we died in Egypt!
- The Israelites crossed the Red Sea, ate manna, saw God’s glory and still had self-pity. If you feel self-pity, start to help others. Self pity is selfishness. Focus on others.
- Jealousy – A sound heart is life to body, but envy is rottenness to the bones. Prov 14:30
Promised Land Mentality #5 – I am unique and have a unique plan.
- John 21:21-22 – Peter was a bit envious of John. Neither was better than the other. God loves them both the same. Both are his children. They were just blessed in different ways.
- John 16:33 – Be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.
- 1 Corinthians 2:9 – We cannot imagine what God has prepared for those who love Him.
- 2 Tim 4:7-8 – I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.